Tuesday, June 14, 2011

End of the Year



I picked up the kids after the last day of school yesterday, and everyone seemed a little sad that the year had ended. O got in her seat, sighed, and said "Well, what a great school year". I laughed, she asked why I was laughing, and I explained that it seemed like she had a couple rough days along the way. She agreed that she struggled in spots, but as she said "not every day can be perfect, but overall it was great".


I learned a lot this year from the kids. They are so good at being able to adjust, adapt and deal with things being thrown at them. Learning how to handle disputes with friends, accepting responsibility, managing expectations...all of these things can be difficult. They all had to do these things throughout the year, as most people do, and I couldn't be more proud of how they came through.


Both the girls got straight A's all year long. They both won an art contest with beautiful pieces of work. They served their communities in various ways, including their church. They played basketball and were both leaders for their teams. They are loyal friends, and wonderful young ladies and it's a pleasure to be their Dad!


As for the Tornado, we've covered some of his rough patches this year. But he adapted too, and did it with a smile. He made some great friends, learned some excellent math skills, and now knows how to read. He's prepared himself well for kindergarten, and he is excited to take on the challenge. I'm proud of how he went out into the world this year, took his lumps and came out on top!


As I've been struggling with some of the changes in my life, part of getting older, I am reminded to look at the kids and how they handle the changes in their life. Sure, some of it stinks, but don't dwell on that stuff. Enjoy all the good stuff that is present every day. That's what my kids do, and I'll try to follow their example.


Now on to summer!!

No comments:

Post a Comment