Sunday, June 19, 2011

Fathers Day



Happy Fathers Day to me!! My beautiful family and I went to the beach this morning, had a little lunch and came home. We are about to sit down to dinner (ribs from the grill!), and we will probably read a little before bed. It's been a nice relaxing day, and spending time with my family is my favorite thing in life.


I want to say thanks to my Dad. I think about all the things I did with my Dad over the years as a kid, and think about what a wonderful time I had with him. Ballgames, coaching me, playing catch, going to the beach, running, trips all over the country, walks in the snow in Buffalo, playing golf, you name it. As a grown up we've done many of those things too, and I've enjoyed them just as much.


He has been such a great role model for me, I hope I can be the same to my kids. Today O asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, if I wasn't going to be a major league baseball player. It was a question that requires a very fatherly answer. I didn't really know how to answer, eventually settling on saying that I really didn't know what I wanted to be until I was already through college. I kinda of fumbled around, saying if I was 18 years old again I may have done this or that differently, but that changing things at this point would require too much upheaval for the rest of the family.


Then I remembered what it was I really wanted to be when I grew up. A Dad. From the time I was in college, I wanted a family, probably even before then. I wanted to have kids of my own, to help guide, to tutor, to love. I can only think that's because I had such a wonderful Dad, and I wanted to replicate that experience. I told O that being a Dad was what I wanted to be, and I couldn't be any happier than I am, blessed with the family and kids that I have.


(and if you are reading this Mom, you sure are a big part of why I wanted to be a parent :) love ya!!

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful tribute to both your Dad and Mom! Happy belated FD Scott, you ARE a wonderful Dad!

    ReplyDelete