Thursday, April 8, 2010

She's Making Up her Own Mind Now??


Soccer season at SFX started in early March, and Big O wanted to play. She's also playing travel hoops, and doing a number of other things at school, and of course her school work. Some of her soccer practices or games are on the same day as her travel hoop practices, so she would be pretty beat should she do both.


I was willing to let her try it, while the CEO was kind of against it. So the CEO and I talked, after the CEO had talked to O and told her no, then I told the CEO I would tell O we didn't want her to play. The CEO was shocked "you think just because you tell her not to she'll listen?" You're darn right she'll listen, she's my baby. I'm her compass, I'm her guiding light, I'm her voice of reason. She looks to me, she trusts me, she knows I know her.


I walk into her room, and tell O that her Mom and I talked, and we think it's best that she sits this one out. O asked why, and I gave her reasons for being overscheduled, focusing on her homework, getting the right sleep, things like that. She looked and listened intently, she understood. Her big hazel eyes looked right into mine, and cracked a little smile. Then came her response - "I still want to play". Umm, WHAT??? Were you not listening to my impeccable logic? I'm your light, your compass, remember?


I turned and walked back into my bedroom, tail between my legs. I told the CEO that O still wanted to play. This put the CEO in a tough position. I had been humbled, she always gets a kick out of that. But O still wanted to play, which was against her wishes.


The three of us got together and chatted it out, and decided that she could play. As it turns out, it's been fine as practices have only run into each other a couple times. She's having fun playing on the school team with her friends.


It was hard letting her make the decision herself, particularly when it was counter to what we had suggested. But I guess it's things like this that we have to let her decide, to hone her decision making skills. It's not going to be easy, I can tell you that. But she's a good kid and a smart kid, and hopefully the good ones far outnumber the bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment