Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Next Chapter Begins


So we are done with the first two weeks of school, and what an eventful two weeks it was! Let's take them one at a time.
First, the Tornado had his first full week of school. He's pulling the same routine with the socks/shoes that Bear pulled everyday. I told him he was out of luck because I had extensive experience dealing with this tactic. He's apparently doing well in school, with the possible exception of sharing. Yes he's one of three kids, but since he's the only boy and with 4 years in between, it's as if he's an only child. He relayed a story to me about his teacher telling him to get more rest one night so that tomorrow wasn't such a "big deal".
One thing I've learned though, is that changes can be a big deal, particularly for a little kid. He asked me why I wouldn't help put his socks on for him anymore. Well, you are in school now and you are a big guy who needs to do it for himself. He responds, but you just did it the other day?? I didn't really consider how much adjusting he would need to do going full time. He's had to grow up so much all at once, and I think he's had a little bit of a struggle doing that, and it's been a little bit of a struggle letting him do it.
On to the Bear. Her teacher is probably the most soft spoken person in the school, but somehow she's managed to butt heads with the teacher, at least in her mind. She's feeling pretty good about herself these days, as she knows how good of an athlete she is; she's popular with the other kids, including the boys; and she does well in school. Despite these things, she's always looking for attention it seems. I can't figure it out, and I'm hoping it calms down a little as she gets older.
Adding to her self-esteem, she won an election to become a class representative. She won in an old fashioned run off, where the teacher counted the run off votes, one by one, aloud. The Bear came out on top, I can't imagine the devastation that would have occurred had she lost so publicly. But she won, so all is well in the land of the Bear.
As for O, it's been a rough two weeks. First, she started middle school, and part of that change is that she changes classes/teachers every period. This wouldn't seem to be a big deal, but she likes her routine, and this different schedule every day has thrown her for a loop.
Secondly, she tried out for the volleyball team on the 3rd and 4th days of school, and got cut. Never mind that she has never played volleyball, never practiced it, so not a huge surprise that she didn't make it. This turn of events did present an opportunity for me to discuss working for things you want, preparation, and enjoying what you do. She told me she enjoyed doing the triathlons, and missed that we haven't done any lately. So by the end of the next day i had a training schedule put together, and we've been working that. I love going out there with her and spending time exercising. It's a great time to let them talk and just listen, she opens up so much more.
Finally, O lost out in her bid for class representative. She's in a mixed home room with 7th and 8th graders, and two older kids won. She understands it, but mix in that her sister did win, and it sure hurt. One of the kids who won has been giving her a hard time at her locker every day too. That was a little salt in the wound. We talked through a strategy to try to avoid him, and hopefully this issue will go away. 6th grade was my least favorite year of school - I told O that maybe we hit the refresh button and say 6th grade starts for real tomorrow. Here's hoping it works!
The CEO has been going through lots of changes at work, personnel, workflow, all kinds of stuff. That's always disconcerting, and I would imagine even more so as the sole breadwinner. She's a trooper, and tries to never bring home that stress, but it's been bothering her. I do my best to be a good listener, and I hope that it helps.
For me, the last two weeks have been an adjustment too. The house is so quiet during the day now. I've been able to get back to running, and I'm working a lot in the yard. I started my new part time job, which I'll describe in the next post. I get excited when I'm in car line and I see the three of them running to the car. I love hearing their voices when the door opens and they jump in. I love seeing their smiles when they see me. There's a comfort that I have being with them, a good feeling that I can't get anywhere else (and I mean everyone in the family). I hope I provide that for them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment