Thursday, July 22, 2010

High Hoops goes camping!


As summer approached and the travel hoop season was ending, some parents asked Frank and I if we were sending the girls to camp. I

found a camp in Clearwater, a couple hours away, that was reasonably priced, was Sunday - Thursday, and I had heard good things about.

I mentioned it to Frank, he thought it sounded good too, so we told everyone about it. After talking to the coach in charge, and trying to relieve some parents of their worries, we had 12 girls decide to go.

As you can see from the picture, they all had a ton of fun. They were going bananas when we left on Sunday afternoon, so excited to be on their own. We told our girls to call each night before bedtime, have fun, be safe.

The first night, we talked to both O and the Bear, they sounded good. Then later, at 3:30 AM, the phone rang. I didn't think either of our girls would be nervous or scared, so I immediately thought something had happened.

"Hi, Mom - it's Bear." Yeah Bear, what's up? "I can't fall asleep, what should I do?" ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!! Go to bed Bear!!!

When I got up to the camp on Thursday, I couldn't believe how much fun they were having with each other. 5 days with 12 girls in a tiny dorm for the first time, I thought there would be some issues. But no, they were hugging, high fiving each other, enjoying being together.

There was a little awards ceremony after, and I had asked O how she played. Pretty good she said. They announced the sportsmanship award, not O; they announced the hustle award, not O; they announced the defense award, not O. I look at O, with Frank next to me and, with a smile, say "So you didn't play defense, hustle, or act like a good sport?" She dismissively waved at me, "yeah yeah Dad, just wait". Then they announce the Coaches Award, for leadership, play and attitude. They gave out 3 in the whole camp - 120 girls. And O gets called up. Nice work kid!!

So they all made it through the camp safely. They had fun, learned some ball, met some new people, and were able to exercise a little independence. A great experience for them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment