Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Great American Road Trip


Grandpop and I had the idea ot make it to as many ballparks as we could when I was younger. We hit most of them, and made great memories as we went from place to place.
About a year ago, with the girls really enjoying baseball, and the boy understanding it a little more each day, that maybe we could embark on a similar quest.
After talking to the CEO, we decided we would break it up into four separate trips, each a few weeks long, and do it over a couple summers. We decided that the Midwest would be tackled this year. I promised we would do and see other things, it wasn't just about baseball. So we agreed, and the planning began.
I'd pick the girls up from basketball camp, drive to Atlanta, then up to Cincinnati. The CEO would fly and meet us there, and we'd continue on. St. Louis would be next, then Kansas City, followed by Minnesota. A natural break in the schedule would allow a long weekend over the 4th of July in Mt. Rushmore. From there we would head to Denver, swing through New Mexico, head to Arlington, then Houston and on our way home.
I'm a little worried about how the kids will behave over the course of 100 hours or more in the car. How will we all do spending almost 3 weeks, shoulder to shoulder, without a break? What happens if our car breaks down? What will the weather be like?
I've got a lot of concerns, but a lot of excitement too. I'm seeing places I've never seen, going places I've never been, and of course that's exciting. I'm also interested to see how we do together - like a little social experiment.
Anyway, I've got over 5000 miles ahead, so time to get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment