Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Long Overdue...Part 2

My last post focused on catching up with the kids. This one will focus on me and the little lady. It's been a crazy 11 months for the two of us, that is for certain. With all of the changes the kids have been going through, it sometimes gets tough to "keep it together" so to speak. We are all running in different directions almost every day, normal stuff that families go through, but it can get to feel like you never get to take a deep breath. But at the end of every day, Kristin and I sit on the couch, throw something on the TV and catch up. I really value that time, because it's the one time of every day that me and my baby get to be with each other, just us. It usually involves a foot massage (me for her), and that's awesome.

Kristin had a full year of work of course, winning at least one big trial, and maybe two (sorry can't remember for sure). She finished her work to become a certified mediator as well.  She took a trip with the kids to Universal in the winter to meet Amy and Monica and their kids for a weekend. They sounded like they had a ton of fun! A few weeks after that, we hosted Deltas weekend at our house, and several of her friends came to visit, a couple brought their daughters as well. It was nice to see everyone together, particularly Olivia and one of the other girls. They really hit it off, and seemed to enjoy each others company.

Our basketball season at BV was an interesting one, getting smashed several times, but in the end coming together to make it to the league title game again. We were able to upset a team in the semifinals, Claire's travel coach was the coach of the team, in a thrilling game. We had a player announce she was gay to the rest of the team (a first for Mark and I), and after one game the team turned against our best player. I think Mark and I did a good job of rebuilding the team's relationship with each other, and overall it was a successful year.

March and April were amazing months for me. First, I got to watch Claire do so well in her hoops as mentioned previously, which is of course fun. I returned to Las Vegas with my buddies for the first weekend of March Madness, and in addition to the normal fun that goes with the trip, the local team, FGCU, scored a huge upset. They were the talk of the tournament, and we all won a bunch of money betting on them. In early April I traveled to Georgia with Stan, and in a span of three days attended the National Championship game at the Georgia Dome between Louisville and Michigan (L'Ville won), then drove to Augusta and watched the Wednesday practice round at the Masters. An amazing three days that I'll never forget. What a gift from my buddy Stan.

We took a summer vacation which I will write up in another post, and spent lots of time at the bowling alley again this summer.

The last few weeks, since we got back from vacation have been tough for me. I always dread the beginning of school, I miss the kids so much. Add in the downer I get from returning from vacation, and that Olivia is now in high school, and this year was a double gut punch. A college friend of mine, and husband of one of Kristin's college friends, killed himself just about two weeks ago. While I hadn't talked with him in several years, this really hit me. He suffered from depression, and had been for several years apparently. This brought up the feelings and thoughts I've been having for a couple years about myself, which led to Kristin and I talking about me for a while. As I explained to Kristin, I love my life. My family is the BEST! I'm just so scared of what the future will be like when the kids grow up and move away, and if anything were ever to happen with Kristin. Everyone says you have to stay in the present...and I try to do that. It's hard to look back, just because I know things will continue to move away from that. And I can't look forward, because it's so damn scary. So that leaves me with today, which I always try to make the most of and enjoy. Hopefully from talking with Kristin about my feelings I can find a way to enjoy the times we had when the kids were smaller, look forward to the great things that will happen in the future, and enjoy each day along the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment