Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Wizards of Braman Avenue


The next stop on our great adventure was Minneapolis, Minnesota. I had never been to Minnesota, so I was looking forward to seeing the place. Minnesota is also home to the Mall of America, and thus, this was the part of the trip the Bear was most looking forward to. Bear loves to shop, to look around, to try things on, all that stuff. And with something like 400 stores in the MOA, she was bound to enjoy it.



We arrived at the hotel right around dinner time, so we checked in and got something to eat at the hotel. This was probably the oldest hotel we stayed in, it was ok, just not the best of the trip. Our hotel was right across the street from the MOA, so after dinner we walked over. The Tornado found the Lego store, and began playing with all they had, while the girls looked at the roller coasters that lie in the middle of the mall. I told the CEO I wanted to take a quick walk as I had seen something online that I wanted to check out.


There was a place called MagiQuest, and since the girls are so into Harry Potter, I thought it might be interesting. I walked up to the store front and could barely take myself into the building. The employees were in full "magic" outfits, and speaking in Old English. I mean really, they were barely understandable. I couldn't imagine working in a place where I had to be in costume and character like that every day, particularly if I had to dress up like a magic wizard or something. But hey, the girls love it, so it looked like it would be cool for them. I got all the info, and met up with the gang again.


We walked the mall a little, went into some stores, then got dessert in the Rainforest Cafe'. It's been a while since we went to the one at Disney, the Tornado was much younger, so I was wondering how he would react to all the noise. When the thunder started, he looked a little startled, but bounced back quickly and realized it was pretty fun to hear the animal sounds as if we were in the jungle. We went back to the room and to bed, and planned on hitting MagiQuest in the morning before the Twins game at night.


When we told the kids in the morning about MagiQuest, they were sooooo excited!! O couldn't wait to get there. Once we did, we found out we could go in for a couple extra bucks and "help" the kids do the scavenger hunt. Basically, you are a wizard, trying to kill a dragon. You need to go through several quests to obtain the necessary powers to kill the dragon. There are big screens that show clips when you activate them that gives clues on what to do or where to go. You have a wand to activate the clips and do other magic things. Honestly, it seemed a little silly, at best, before we got going.


The CEO and I decided we would let the girls do their own thing, go at their own pace, and we would guide the Tornado through the hunt. Well, it didn't take long before I was doing a little more than "helping" him. I was running from clip to clip, saying "over here buddy, c'mon, hurry up!" I got really caught up in the hunt/maze aspect of the game, it was pretty cool. The CEO kept telling me to let him do it, yet every time I turned around, she was on another side of the room guiding one of the girls to their next clue!! We all had magically gotten wrapped up in the game!


The time was winding down, you have 90 minutes in the room, whether you finish the hunt or not, and only one kid looked like she wasn't going to reach the finish line. With us helping him, the Tornado was right on track, and although a little pushed, O was going to make it too. That left the Bear, O M G!! I looked at the CEO and said we HAVE to get her to the finish, or the next several days of the trip would be unbearable (so to speak). So there was the three of us, sprinting from clue to clue, from clip to clip, waving the wand frantically. It was about as much pressure as you can feel doing a fun activity on vacation. I looked at my watch and saw we were down to 30 seconds and still had two things to find. I don't know what fairy intervened, but I thank her for guiding us to the right places quickly. The Bear was about to explode she was so nervous. But we made it, and the Bear got to slay the dragon! God Bless us all.


We left MagiQuest, all with huge smiles on our faces. It was a ton of fun for everyone, they all got to bring their wands with them, and for that they were extremely happy. We grabbed some lunch, shopped around a little more, and headed back to the room to relax before the game. The three master wizards and two wizard apprentices were ready for more excitement later that evening!


No comments:

Post a Comment